Blacko School is set in a rural position in East Lancashire. From all directions we have views of rolling countryside, with Pendle Hill in the distance.
The village of Blacko is well known throughout Lancashire because of Blacko Tower. It was built at around the same time as the school and is a focal point for miles around.
School Vision and Ethos
From tiny seeds, mighty trees will grow
Blacko Primary School strives to provide a vibrant, nurturing and aspiring environment where individually our children can thrive both academically and personally. An educational family whereby children’s imaginations are ignited and opportunities stretch, develop and inspire a life-long thirst for learning.
At Blacko, we endeavour to provide this by:
Ensuring a safe learning environment
Providing a high-quality, broad and balanced curriculum
Upholding outstanding standards of behaviour
Providing a family-feel nurturing and caring environment
Develop self-belief, resilience and determination to succeed
Creating opportunities for all abilities to try new things and make discoveries
Embracing new technology
Promoting logical and creative thinking skills
Encouraging independence, democracy and responsibility
Promoting curiosity and enthusiasm
Encouraging mutual respect for others
Working with and learning from others
All of this is achieved while working in collaboration to fully develop strong and positive partnerships with parents and the wider community.
‘Like branches on a tree, we all grow in different directions yet our roots remain the same’
Building work on Blacko 'New' School commenced in June 1889. In January 1890 Blacko School was opened. The total cost for the school was £909.
Mr. John Clegg is a famous name in the history of Blacko School. He commenced his duties as Headmaster of the school in December 1882. It was the beginning of a career that spanned 38 years, until his retirement on July 21st, 1921.
In his early years at Blacko Mr.Clegg lived in the schoolhouse. When he arrived at the school he would place a large pan on two bricks with a small oil lamp underneath. This would just about be boiling by lunch time to make hot drinks for his pupils.
The school is still based around the original Victorian building, but obviously has undergone many changes. Two new classrooms have been built in the eves of the building, the final one completed in October 2005.